Friday, August 5, 2011

MY LUCKY FIND!!

 I call this a lucky find!!  Robin (my wife) calls it a curse.  I say its a lucky find beacause I purchased this 1970 GMC (which of course is made by GM who also makes Chevy and puts all the same engines in both lines) for $500.  The great part is this rust bucket not only has alot of useable body parts(Hood Fenders, glass ect) I can part out to someone working on a 70 GMC but under the hood it has a good 327 V8 and a good Turbo 400 Auto Transmission that will be perfect for my 66.  I will also be able to use the steering column, driveline and several other parts.....more on that later.

Robin says its a curse because she feels like a white trash family with a bunch of old, broke down trucks in the driveway while she has to park her van on the street....Pretty funny.....I told her until I start parking on the lawn and blocking the vehicles on cyndar blocks we cant be true white-trash....as she calls it. 

I also used this opportunity to promote the idea of building my shop in the back....it think this is helping my cause.  Hee Hee Hee!
This 327 V8 will need a few things to get it running up to par again.  First of all.....I tested the compression and found only my #7 Cylinder was a bit low.  Since this is at the back of the engine there is a good chance this is due to a leaky head gasket since the gasket seal there is thin, but worst case senario it might need a valve adjustment or valve job.  I won't know until I get it out and opened up.

It will also get a new intake manifold and new carb something in the 650-700 CFM range as well and a master gasket kit installed.

In order to use the tranmission I will be converting the 66 from Manual to Automatic, which overall is a pretty simple trick.....more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment